Poihākena tours: stories of Māori in Sydney. Private tours and groups.
From AUD $50.00
- Duration: 2 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: PTGMN
Experience the Rocks from a Māori perspective, guided by local Māori passionate about their heritage and history - and who know how to tell a good story!
- Visit sites in The Rocks where Māori have lived, loved, visited, traded, worked and died since 1793.
- See Māori taonga ('cultural treasure') found on a local archaeological dig site and now exhibited at The Rocks Discovery Museum.
- Visit the archaeological dig site where taonga were revealed
- Listen to waiata (Māori song)
- Walk down Māori Lane
- Hear stories spanning 230 years - visiting Māori chiefs; kidnappings; trade, Wahine Toa – stories of Māori women and more...
“Poihākena Tours give a voice to the stories of our (Māori) ancestors and whānau/family who came here before us. One in five Māori now live in Australia and these stories are a reminder of our strong connection to Australia, and our history and heritage here.” Hohepa Ruhe, Kotahi Tourism Director
Poihākena tours take place on Gadigal Country. Always was, always will be.
- Winner 2019 Best Local Experience NSW - Tourism and Hospitality Awards
- Winner 2018 Award for Excellence - Interpretation Australia.
- Winner 2018 Tour Operator of the Year – Sydney (Luxury Tour Guide Award).
- Winner 2015 National Trust Heritage Award - Heritage Tours & Multimedia
NotesTour duration: 2 hours
Departs from: Campbells Cove, The Rocks (next to Campbells Cove Jetty).
Hāngi: Optional Hāngi lunch (minimum 20).
Tour cost: Groups 15+: $50 per head Private tours (1- 15) : $750 per tour
Covid Safety: Kotahi Tourism is a NSW registered Covid-Safe business.
Poihākena = Port Jackson (Sydney)